Thursday, January 9, 2014

My Ideal Life (Part 3)

It's funny.  The most important part of My Ideal Life interrupted Part 2 yesterday.
Here's what happened:

The school bus arrived.  Valen stopped at the top of the stairs before getting off the bus.  He pulled up his pant leg and started rubbing a small piece of foam down his left shin.  He said, "I clean it.  I need soap and water."  The bus driver laughed, we said goodbye, and Valen and I crossed the street.

Mommy:  "Is that a treasure?"
Valen:  "Yeah.  It on the chair."
Mommy:  "Is it part of the bus seat?"
Valen:  "Yeah.  It come out.  I need soap and water to clean."
Mommy:  "Okay.  You can play with some water in the kitchen."

I gave him a cup of water and a towel on the floor.  He used the "sponge" to clean toy cars and make a boat for his toy spider.  Valen chatted about how the spider drove a police car, and he narrated several sink and float experiments.  I played with him for a while, and then tried to get back to writing my blog.

Eventually Valen found his car that changes color in hot and cold water.  So of course he needed a second container (of hot water), and ice cubes for the cold water.  I wrote a few sentences while this entertained him, but in my distraction his game became more intense.  Water everywhere!  I asked Valen to please clean up his mess with the towel, but he said, "It's okay.  Daddy's boots go in water."  (Ryan recently bought new work boots, and Valen is fascinated by the fact that they're waterproof).  I reminded him that his socks and my slippers are not waterproof.  After much discussion, Valen decided that the floor didn't need to be wet.  He cleaned up some of the water, I saved my blog, and I helped him finish the job.

And then...  On to the next Valen adventure!

The best part of My Ideal Life is what I have, here and now.  Being a mom is infinitely more awesome than I could ever imagine.  My son is the most joyful, charismatic, inquisitive, imaginative, sweet, loving, and kind little boy.  It is an honor to be part of his life.  There will be many more stories to come.

But first, pictures from this morning:




3 comments:

  1. Every day is an adventure for Valen, and so everyday is an adventure for you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Life is all about discovery and children discover things like no one else. I love the picture of the cat looking over his shoulder with the one eye peeping out. It makes me think "is she looking?"

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is an adventure! And that's Spirit the Cat (and her morning greeting). First a sniff, and then kneading and purring ;)

    ReplyDelete