Monday, January 6, 2014

The Desert Never Dies

I'm an Arizona girl at heart.  I moved to Sedona in 2004, a month before my 24th birthday.  I left, for the first time, less than 2 years later.  Back again within 15 months, and I would have stayed, but I needed better doctors during my pregnancy in 2007.  Best decision ever!  Valen was born healthy and strong in 2008, and we returned to AZ when he was 4 months old.  Valen's dad and I had a lot of growing up to do.  We chose to move several more times, trying to figure out this thing called "Life."

It's as if Arizona didn't want us.  Jobs sucked.  We tried to find something better.  Failed again, tried again.  Finally figured out a career for Ryan.  Found him a good job in North Carolina.  But we don't feel at home here.  Sedona is the only place we've ever called home.  But she may never want us back.

For now, we wait.  We're getting better at this whole "grown up" thing.  Our kid is awesome.  At least we've done that part right.  But we'd love to show him who we really could be, in a place that feels permanent.

Arizona winters are simply perfect.  Incredible weather for hiking.  A little snow up North.  A lot of sun in Phoenix.  Evergreen trees and shrubs.  Rocks and rivers.  Bright red soil, clear blue skies.  Quail, javelina, deer, lizards.  STARS!  Almost every night.  And the storms are better, too.  Summer monsoons.  Rainbows.  Watching the weather change 3 towns over.

I hope we find a way to move back there this year.  And if we do, I hope she lets us stay this time.



No comments:

Post a Comment